When it comes to storytelling & communication, we are firm believers that being succinct is crucial for effectiveness. It’s so easy to get long-winded about something we care about, and sometimes it’s ok, but most of the time it prevents our message from being digested or even finished.
Here are some tips to keeping your storytelling short & sweet (and therefore effective and more likely to get consumed):
- Outline the main points of what you’re trying to say ahead of time and make sure those points are made a priority.
- Make good use of headings and subheadings to make it easy to skim your written content.
- Another way to keep your content ‘skimmable’ is to make use of supporting imagery throughout.
- Keep the overall read or listen time of each piece of content under 3 minutes.
- If what you have to say is going to be too long, break it into multiple pieces of content so it won’t be abandoned.